Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Salvation: Believers and Homeschoolers

(PART 1)


This is one of those posts I've wanted to write for a while: how our journey in homeschooling has paralelled our walk with Jesus. 
   
I believe the things that bring us to Jesus and the things that keep us growing with Jesus are very different. At least for me. The same is true for our homeschooling. We brought our kids home for just a few reasons, but the reasons we continue homeschooling are many! 
    
Salvation and the Famous "Letter of Intent"
    
When 1 John 4:19 says, "We loved because He first loved us", I usually say in my mind, "I love Him because He first loved me." I came to faith in Jesus because I knew He loved me.  I didn't grow up in a Christian home, but through God's grace at a young age, I had an inexplicable knowledge of a perfect Heavenly Father that loved me and wanted the best for me. 
So, when I was in high-school, the seeds that had been planted (by Christian friends and a lot of mommas), came to  bear fruit when I walked down the aisle of Bethany Baptist Church. (I love that place.) 
I love Him because He loves me. I can't love Him first. That was the moment of salvation.
   
The "Letter of Intent" to homeschool happened in the same sort of moment. I had considered homeschooling early on. I remember when our kids were in diapers, my friend, KerryBeth and I discussing home education at that same little church I walked that aisle. Mark and I even went to the Homeschool Convention when Meghan was 3. (Nerds.) Somewhere in this I had an inexplicable feeling that homeschooling was the best thing for Meghan. Still as it got closer, I got fearful that I wouldn't be able to teach her to read, and I got excited about all my friends at the school. (My name is Melissa and I'm an incurable Sanguine.)  

So, Meg started school. She was so cutesy in her backpack and curls. Two years later, Maddy began kindergarten. My girls were in a school in our community with a great reputation. It was an ideal situation. The teachers liked me and loved my girls. 
Still, the Lord never let us take the idea of homeschooling off the table. I would meet these awesome teenagers with wisdom beyond their years, academically and spiritually. They were different. I wanted to do that for my girls. We joined this 4H group--FULL of homeschoolers. We may have been the only yay-hoos in government school. I loved the kids in the group and I thought those mommas were the best mommas on the planet! Still do. 
I remember telling Spouse, "Seriously, these homeschoolers are closing in on me! They are everywhere! The Lord is surrounding me!"  I wondered, "I could try it for the rest of the school year, and if I stunk it up, I would bring them back in August." 


That is exactly what I told the principal when I cried at her desk.
During Christmas break of 2008,the seeds that had been planted (by Christian friends and a lot of mommas), came to  bear fruit when I mailed my letter of intent to homeschool. That was the beginning of homeschooling.


And, it was JUST the beginning...
...to be continued.


Love!


Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment